Lupton Fawcett is here to help you and your agricultural business through any legal process, no matter how complex. Whether you run a large or small family business, a large company or landed estate, our specialist team of solicitors has a wealth of experience that will assist you and provide the expert advice you need.
Our specialist Agricultural & Landed Estates Team recognise the need to run farms and estates as businesses, without losing sight of the fact that many are also homes; commercial objectives have to be balanced against protecting a way of life and local reputation.
We also appreciate that transactions involving agricultural or estate property often have special complications or considerations. However, thanks to our years of experience, we can offer advice and expertise on the following:
- Sales and purchases of farms, agricultural land and rural businesses
- Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 and Farm Business Tenancies
- Assured shorthold tenancies, business tenancies and grazing licenses
- Problem tenants and rent recovery
- Property Disputes
- Sporting or fishing rights
- Ancient common and/or manorial rights
- Mines and minerals
- Renewable energy projects including wind, UV and solar panels, anaerobic digestion and hydro
- Shooting rights and shotgun licenses
- Public and private rights of way
- Boundaries and registration of land
- Succession and inheritance tax planning
- Wills and Trusts
- Employment and family law issues
- Advice to Family Businesses
The advantage of offering agriculture and estate property services within a commercial firm is that we can also help you exploit the estate's commercial potential as the pressure to diversify continues, for example, with merchandising and licensing.
Furthermore, we can offer advice on income-generating projects, such as setting up wind/solar farms and caravan parks, or developing an e-commerce offering.
Thanks to a strong track record, we are currently rated as one of the top Agriculture and Estate teams in Yorkshire and the Humber:
The Legal 500
"Lupton Fawcwtt provides advice to landed estates and agricultural clients on matters including land use, disputes and employment matters. Johanne Spittle and consultant David Grice lead the team, with clients including Castle Howard"
Chambers & Partners:
"The team provides continuity. They understand the business and I have real confidence in the people they have"
"David Grice is an experienced practitioner with a particular focus on commercial property and landed estates. "He is very thorough, his response is speedy and he is very knowledgeable," say clients".
"Johanne Spittle represents clients in contentious property and agricultural cases such as landlord and tenant disputes, rights of way and infringement of property. Sources praise her "extremely good judgement and pragmatic advice."
Our experienced lawyers can help guide you through an area of law which can frequently lead to tension and disputes.
Private rights of way
We are experienced in dealing with both claims to register a right of way over land and when private rights of way are obstructed.
Where a substantial interference with a right of way has occurred it may be necessary to take immediate action to prevent this which may involve making an urgent application to the court for an injunction to remove and prevent any obstruction.
We can provide you with sensible commercial advice and take the necessary steps to protect you and your land.
Public rights of way
We have expertise in this complex area of law and acting for private landowners faced with application to add public rights of way, including footpaths, bridleways and other routes to the Definitive Map and providing representation at public inquiries.
Our specialist debt recovery team are experienced in handling tenants with rent arrears and are able to provide landlords with practical and commercial advice on the best method of recovering outstanding rent.
We understand that no two debts are the same, and prefer a one-to-one approach that reflects your individual needs and keeps costs to a minimum.
We can also advise you on all aspects of tenant default including:
- Breaches of tenancy agreements;
- Damage to property and disrepair;
- Anti social behaviour;
- Recovering possession
We can assist landowners in relation to a range of different types of property related disputes.
- Rent and service charge recovery
- Forfeiture and possession proceedings
- Landlord and tenant insolvency
- Assignment and sub-letting disputes
- Breaches of lease covenants
- Contested commercial lease renewals
- Dilapidation and repair matters
- Enforcement and infringement of easements (including private rights of way)
- Public rights of way and applications to amend the Definitive Map
- Injunctions and emergency court actions
- Party wall and boundary disputes
- Professional negligence
- Flooding and Environment Agency disputes
Agriculture and Landed Estates Updates
Should you wish a copy of our brochure, please click here.
Talk to us
Contact our agricultural solicitors today for extensive legal advice backed by years of experience. Call our offices across Yorkshire, in Leeds, York and Sheffield, to speak to an expert today. Or get in touch using the contact details below.
- Exercising shooting rights: the case of Winsley Hurst Hall and Estate
- Restrictive Covenants
- Rights of way: rights and obligations to repair
- What rights can third parties have over your land and how can they be exercised?
- Land Sales - Should you consider an overage provision?
- Happy New Year! What can we expect in the agriculture sector in 2017?
- The Family Farm - Succession and Inheritance Tax Planning
- Developing land - things to consider
- Preventing the creation of rights of way over your land
- Divorce and the Family Farm
- Things to consider when selling your farm
- Important reminders for the Agriculture sector
- Farmers win flood water compensation claim
- Law and Regulations Update
- Divorce and the Family Farm
- Avoiding claims for disruption when carrying out work on tenanted properties
Get in Touch
With Lupton Fawcett on your side, you're taking control. Contact us today.
This firm is best known for its work for landed estates such as Castle Howard, the Hovingham Estate and Broughton Hall.Chambers and Partners